Wednesday, August 8, 2018

First Days and First Thoughts from Trillian

I am writing this blog post from somewhere that I never dreamed I would actually get the chance to live- Mumbai, India!  Let me tell you a little bit about how I got the opportunity to live and work here for one year. 



It all started almost one year ago today, when my head of school at Cairo American College mentioned at an all staff meeting, almost casually, that we were going to be participating in something called a "Teacher Renewal" program and that anyone interested in an exchange year with another school should get in touch with their principals or him to discuss details soon. Interested? I was very interested! I had just begun my fourth year in Cairo, and while I was very happy in my position and with my colleagues, I had realized that part of international teaching meant experiencing new cultures and schools around the world- something that I hadn't done, as my first posting outside of the US was CAC. The Teacher Renewal program was a perfect opportunity for me to try something new, without having to say goodbye to Cairo American College just yet!

After setting up a series of interviews with CAC and then with my prospective school, the American School of Bombay, it was a yes!  I had been matched with an amazing educator, Samantha, at an incredible school. We were both thrilled about the idea of traveling for a year. I was able to meet Samantha when she came to Cairo for an orientation session in the spring, and she showed me around when I visited Mumbai for a week during my spring break as well. As soon as I landed in India, I knew I had made the right choice.  I loved the culture, the climate, the sights and sounds. It was an extremely busy week and I tried to soak up as much as I could between meetings, observing teaching and learning, filling out paperwork, and even some shopping. When it came time for my flight home, I didn't want to leave!



I had a wonderful beginning at the American School of Bombay. The administrative team welcomed all new teachers by placing a flower wreath around our necks and daubing red paste on our foreheads, according to Indian tradition. Since my arrival here, I have felt immersed in the culture of India and I see how it flows through and around everything that happens in this country. I am joyfully embracing it as a part of my journey. The teachers have been very busy preparing for the school year. We set up two new classroom spaces this year on the Pre-K floor, and we were so happy to welcome the new families to orientation this morning.  Tomorrow will be the first school day for all children at ASB.



Now, I am sitting here in my home for the next year- Samantha's beautiful apartment in Bandra. I have had a very smooth transition to India. Since I am staying in Sam's place, I have not had to worry about shipping over my things. In fact, I brought over a few things in April, so I traveled with just two suitcases for the entire year!  Without an apartment to unpack, or various necessities to find in a new city, the relocation to Mumbai has been so much less stressful that any other move in my life. When I visited in April, I learned so much about the routines and expectations of the school day that I feel extraordinarily relaxed and ready as I anticipate the first day of school tomorrow. I know that I am prepared to be a collaborative team member with the other three Pre-K teachers, and I understand how things work here at ASB.



I am so happy and grateful to be here. I love India, and after my first week at ASB, I am so enthusiastic about being a part of the team. I can't wait to see what this year has in store for me, and I can only hope that I continue to be a positive contributor and support students, families, and my colleagues here. I know the adventure is just beginning for me during my year in the teacher renewal program.


Onward I go! Until next time.... Trillian

2 comments:

  1. Trillian
    Great to keep updated on this exciting journey for us all. It has been very positive from our side here in Cairo thanks to you and Sam! Looking forward to the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie! Sorry I didn't see this comment sooner, but I really appreciate you taking some time to read the blog and give some feedback! We are all really happy with how things are going. Hope you are having a great weekend in Cairo, and looking forward to catching up soon!

    ReplyDelete