Saturday, October 20, 2018

The Great Adventure Continues!

It’s hard to believe we’ve already finished month two here in Mumbai! It feels like I’ve only just begun my journey, while at the same time as if I’ve been here forever. This has been such an incredible period of learning and collaboration for me, and I still have nine months of school to look forward to at ASB.
Colors and textures of India

My morning alarm clock in Bandra.

My beautiful home.

Working in an open setting such within Pre-K team at ASB has really allowed my professional thinking and practice to change and grow. In a grade level without walls, where an hour of each day is allocated towards group learning as a whole grade, my beliefs about community and relationships have been re-defined. This is reflected in my interactions with the students, with my teammates, and with colleagues and staff in the school. I have noticed that there are so many opportunities where people take time to compliment others’ practices and construct knowledge together, simply because they are able to interact so frequently. I can’t wait to adapt my own techniques next year, in a classroom with walls, to allow for more frequent interactions with other teachers, students in other grade levels, and colleagues in other divisions to allow for higher levels of collaboration and, in doing so, more opportunities to reflect. Physical walls are a barrier, but not one that can’t be overcome!

A Learning Morning session on emotional wellbeing.

Within the classroom, things are lovely. We have grown into a special community of learners who enjoy building, drawing, hunting for clues, and helping each other. My associate teacher, Nina, is supportive and wonderful both inside ASB and while helping me navigate Mumbai. Next week we will have parent teacher conferences, and I am excited to spend time speaking with each family about their child’s growth over the first two months of school.

While thinking about professional development, I have been a part of a Leadership PLC during my time here with the head of school, Craig Johnson. Today we had the opportunity to sit down for an hour with six heads of school, from Singapore, Johannesburg, Cary Academy (North Carolina), Nueva School (California), Frankfurt, and Mumbai. The conversations, as they have been at all meetings of the PLC, were fascinating. One big take-away and question that I have is, how to foster a culture of zest for innovation at school. How does one create an institution where people are excited about the work they are doing in their classrooms and with their students? I have been very lucky to find this in my international teaching experiences, but I understand that it is not always the case. How did CAC and ASB develop this culture, and what does it take to sustain it?

Positive school culture.


Living in Mumbai is a dream come true for me. I couldn’t have imagined a better fit. The vibrancy, greenery, busyness, pockets of quiet, and culture everywhere fascinate me. After school each day I go exploring to learn more about my neighborhood, Bandra. There are plenty of restaurants, and shops galore with treasures like drawers full of beads, reams of fabric, a shop that sells only baskets, you name it. If I went out walking every single day that I was here in India, I would always see something different!
Stray dogs in India are generally well-cared for and healthy. Luckily for me they are also friendly!

Exploring the markets- a stuffed animal shop.

Elephanta Island, home of beautiful temples and temperamental monkeys.

Sunrise at the sea.

We have also had several festivals during August and September. One festival, called Dahi Handi, marks the birthday of Krishna. Because Krishna, according to the texts, loved sweets and would climb high to reach them, this day is celebrated by participants forming a human pyramid to reach a pot placed strategically on a wire or building ledge. The pot is usually filled with money or some other prize rather than Krishna’s favorite treat, yogurt.

Thank you to Emma-Jane, my Pre-K teammate, for the video!

Another big celebration here in Maharashtra was Ganesh Chaturthi. To celebrate Ganesh, Krishna’s elephant-headed son, the people here create special idols and venerate them for one week. At the end of the week, the idols are brought to the sea with much fanfare, and immersed in the ocean. There are many special songs and chants, and as this is one of the biggest celebrations in Mumbai, the streets were filled with celebrants dancing. I was lucky enough to be invited by a neighbor to accompany them as they brought their Ganesh idol to the sea one night. A band led the way with drums and firecrackers. The trip took several hours as we stopped every few meters to dance and pass out fruit and sweets to the people on the street. When we reached the sea, the idol was carried out to the water and then several men swam a distance into the sea before letting him go.

A wonderful family and celebration.


I appreciate so much that a variety of different religious, cultures, and choices are all openly celebrated here. They begin to be a part of the city's identity. I love learning about the publicly celebrated rituals and cultural events here. This particular procession, the largest of its type so far on my street, was quite solemn and when I inquired about it, I was only told "this is god." 

A procession passing my door.

I have felt more than welcome here in India and at ASB. The people in my neighborhood make me feel safe as I explore a new city and culture. My wonderful team- Marisa, Kate, Emma, Nina, Nilu, Delysha, and Gayle, plus the creative arts, physical education, learning support, iCommons, and host country studies teachers- have helped me reflect on my teaching every day. Professionally, I have been able to join PLC’s that allow me to grow and, more importantly, to apply my learning immediately. I’m very much looking forward to the next nine months which will include a quick trip back to Cairo, visits from family and friends, travel around India, and more learning at ASB than I can envision right now.

Fabulous, fantastic, and supportive Pre-K teaching team. 

Keep looking ahead- Diwali and more personal and professional adventures on the horizon!

A new project Nina and I have just begun as an installation on expression.. 
look for more on this in the next update!


Cheers to the adventure, and another big thank-you to everyone who is making this possible for Samantha and I!
All my best, Trillian.

No comments:

Post a Comment